Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I am DeadCentre.

I really wasn't sure what to write here. I'd been asked by this blogs host to make a contribution but I'd had no Xanadu moment; my muse had foraken me. I'd considered at first an introduction of sorts, a precis of my life in the funeral industry since the age of fourteen and subsequent descent into the production line world of corporate funeral care. It's not interesting though, not to me anyway.

Tonight I had my Xanadu moment. Olivia Newton-John rollerskated down the stairs and into the toilets of the Old Cheshire Cheese pub on Fleet Street in London. In the form a a bit of graffiti penned onto the wall beside the cistern above the urinal she'd written; 'Lifes great irony; though the measure of our life goes forward, our understanding of it works in reverse', or words to that effect. I remembered what I wanted to do on this blog. I wanted to cause a fuss, be difficult and disagree with A. Mortician, and that's exactly what I intend to do. It's much more interesting because after so many years caring, I've realised that the caring makes little difference, provided you are seen to care.

My days of idealism are over. What we as funeral directors provide is merely a basic service that any halfwit with a basic education and with provision of a simple formula could facilitate. This is as much the case now as has been since neanderthal man decided to bury his dead rather than abandon them to the elements. They say that prostitution is the worlds oldest profession. The funeral trade however must run a close second; and in that time, our industry has seen It's share of the unscrupulous, the perverse and the socially incompetent.

We've all seen the industry's faults, all of us can share horror stories. Despite my lingering misanthrophy and mistrust however, I can still see a place for those of us who do actually care . We are priveleged to be of such an important service. Not to the dead, but to those that the dead leave behind.

I'll finish with an anecdote. Many years ago, we employed my ex-girlfriend in our family run funeral business. Not long after she started we were entrusted with the care and commital of an old boy who apparently looked very much like the ex-girlfriends sick grandfather. She of course reacted badly and doubted her fortitude. I explained to her what we do in these terms; We provide a service that will remain in the memory of those that survive that nobody else can parallel. You will eventually forget a nice fat tax return, you will relegate the details of a house or car purchase to distant memory; but as long as you live, you will remember the funeral service of somebody you loved.

That's what we do. We serve the living and not the dead and when we care, we get enormous job satisfaction, really.

Deadcentre

Observations on life and death in London later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exactly my thoughts. Why should we as a profession care when it is painfully obvious that deceased's own family doesn't? As our society continues to erode, the affects will continue to worsen as well. Ours is a society run by narcism, egocentrism and self-indulgence.

Our profession is continually vilified in the public and policed by various government agencies more than other business. Thus hamstringing our earning potential and ultimately our ability to positively influence those we serve.

Unfortunately all businesses have their share of perverse and inept individuals. Ours is magnified more greatly due to the sensitive nature of the business.

I would agree to a point of your notion that any knuckle-dragger can do what we do. Again, just like any profession. Most are capable of doing whatever they set their mind, heart and/or soul to. The difference is, although anyone may be able to do it, not all can nor do it well. There lies the crux.

bluerabbit said...

It's funny Mr. Anonymous. The first time you commented on this site I thought maybe you were much less cynical than I. I stand corrected.

Anonymous said...

My apologies if I come across as being too cynical. I just try to be honest with my feelings. I suppose that may change from day to day...depending upon whether or not I have taken my medication. :) That is a joke...tone is so difficult to convey on here. By the way, sorry that I have been bogarting your blog. If you wish, I can keep my comments to myself.

bluerabbit said...

OH NO, I like what you have to say. Keep it coming. I have a new post almost finished in my head and will give you more fodder soon. My posts typically need a night off-call, beer, and a healthy dose of melancholy and angst. I am feeling that combination grow closer as the seconds of the day tick by slowly.

"ole' boy" wire, paper, glue,   spray paint  2022 king of the trash  he was created for halloween but i've realized this ...